The International League of Associations for Rheumatology issues an annual request for proposals for projects that advance rheumatology in developing countries.
Applications for proposals for the 2019 calendar year were accepted July 2 – September 7, 2018.
ILAR welcomes project proposals for ILAR contribution between $5,000 and $25,000 U.S. ILAR will fund up to $100,000 for projects in 2019.
Leagues of rheumatology associations, national rheumatology societies, universities and academic institutions, government agencies, and individuals from institutions are eligible to submit a proposal for consideration. Project proposals must clearly demonstrate that they address ILAR’s mission to advance rheumatology in developing countries in the areas of patient education and health professional education, including population health* and/or clinical practice, and advocacy for rheumatology. ILAR’s focus is specifically to advance the education and clinical practice of rheumatology in the developing world and therefore proposals should demonstrate how they will impact improvements in education on population health* and/or the clinical practice of rheumatology.
ILAR will not fund research projects.
*Population Health is defined as health outcomes of a group of individuals including the distribution of such outcomes within the group (e.g., COPCORD Registry).
This year, ILAR will give special consideration to these prioritized areas:
- Programs that address the need to expand access to rheumatology care in your community.
- Rheumatology education programs/materials for health professionals and/or patients to expand access to rheumatology care in your community.
- Advocacy for Rheumatology through disease awareness campaigns. ILAR will fund up to $5,000 each for projects that address public awareness campaigns for rheumatology. An example includes translating EULAR’s “Don’t Delay, Connect Today” campaign into various languages to be shared in your community.
- COPCORD Registry ILAR is committed to funding at least one new COPCORD registry site in a developing country.
Award Terms and Funding
ILAR is soliciting proposals for projects that clearly demonstrate that they address ILAR’s mission to advance rheumatology in developing countries in the areas of education, population health and/or clinical practice for the funding year January 1 – December 31, 2019. In total, ILAR will fund up to $100,000 U.S. for projects in 2019. Special consideration will be given to projects involving multiple leagues. ILAR’s intent in funding these projects is to provide seed money to help initiate meritorious projects that would eventually be eligible for other sources of funding.
- Prior to completing and submitting the application, you are required to notify the president via email of your geographic area’s league (AFLAR, APLAR, PANLAR, or EULAR). Please complete this before submitting the ILAR Project Sheet, as you are required to indicate your communication with appropriate league on the form.
- To apply, download and complete the ILAR Project Proposal Form and email the completed form to ILAR during the application period. You should receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of submission. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please contact Julie Anderson.
Required Documents – Conditions of Award
You will only be required to complete this form if your project is selected for funding.
The Conditions of Award document outlines the payment schedule and terms of the award, and requires a signature from the awardee. This signed original document must be returned to ILAR by the due date indicating formal acceptance of the award. The first payment is scheduled for February of the award year; however no funds will be released prior to the receipt of this document.
To make sure the projects stay on task, ILAR will withhold 10% of the award until a six-month progress report is submitted. You are also expected to submit a manuscript to be considered for publication in ILAR’s journal Clinical Rheumatology. Details and instructions on how to submit a manuscript to Clinical Rheumatology will be included with your letter of agreement.
Please review the Letter of Agreement / Conditions of Award for ILAR Grants before you apply.
For more information, please contact ILAR at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-633-3777.